St Mary’s church tower rises to 86 feet (26 metres) and was built in the late 1400’s. There is an 18th century weather vane at the top. The tower contains eight bells, some dating back to the 18th century. A plaque on the wall at the west end of the church commemorates the worldwide radio broadcast of the bells of Prestwich in November 1942, following the battle of El Alamein. Reflecting their purpose to inspire worship, one of the bells is inscribed in Latin “Gloria Deo in Excelsis et in Terra Pax” (Glory to God in the highest and peace on Earth).
Tower & Bells