Lever Chapel

During the 17th century this chapel became the family chapel for the Levers of Alkrington Hall (then part of Prestwich parish, now in Middleton). Various brasses, originally coffin shields, referring to members of the family are displayed on the wall. Nearby is the Birch Chapel, built in 1875 and named after Canon Henry Birch, Rector of Prestwich 1852-84. Also known as the Lady Chapel (Lady referring to the Blessed Virgin Mary), this chapel contains the aumbry where the Blessed Sacrament of Holy Communion is reserved – a light burns by the aumbry to indicate the presence of Christ.

Advertisements